8/2/09

Wake up call...how did I forget?

My husband is a firefighter/paramedic here in south Florida. He is a hero in my book. He does what I could never do. Emergency situations scare the heck out of me but he snaps to action to save as many people as possible. Every once in a while he comes home with a story or two that really affects him. Its hard to see him in pain because he lost a patient or didn't get the fire out in time.
He came home a couple days ago and I could tell it was a rough shift. When I asked about it I was surprised to see tears in his eyes. He was called to a home where a woman collapsed. When he got there he found a hysterical mother scared for her daughter. He soon found her daughter was having a heart attack. On the way to the hospital she died. There was nothing they could do. Its sad when you lose ANY patient but this one hit close to home for him. She was only 33, beautiful, successful, and morbidly obese. She had so much life left to live but her heart couldn't take it anymore. My husband is deathly afraid this could happen to me.
Once my lifestyle changes fell apart in January of this year I kinda just fell off the wagon again. I struggled to get back up but couldn't find the motivation. I thought to myself: I am fat, I will never be thin and pretty, it is just not my lot in life. Oh well, at least I have a great life, husband and family. I will just stay fat.
When did I forget to should have little to do with being thin and pretty. In all reality this IS a matter of life and death. What is the point in having a great life if you have it cut short due to something you CAN change?

7 comments:

  1. You found your "fire"... your reason.

    Let's get this done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told myself the same thing...I'll just be fat. Sometimes you forget how selfish you are being. My actions don't ever effect just me.

    You'll get your mojo back. Sounds like your hubs should be great motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post really hit home for me today. I need to find my motivation again.
    Your husband sounds like a wonderful man.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christ, that is terribly sad. I absolutely have to get back on track, too. I just have to pull myself together somehow. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are exactly right. This is a huge motivator for me, that I had forgotten about recently. Thanks for the much needed reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this really hit home to me. You are totally right. The health is the important part. Hubby loves me no matter my size. The health is the big piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you can't just jump back on the wagon then pick one thing - cut one thing out of your diet, walk for 15 minutes, etc.

    When you do one thing well it builds your confidence and your desire to do more. It is how I found the wagon in the first place.

    You can do this! If I can do this, you can do this.

    ReplyDelete