6/5/07

Summer in the City


I have heard a lot of people talk about having to resist the urge to curl up with a blanket, hot cocoa and a good book all winter long instead of exercising. I am sure the urge to "hibernate" is strong during that time. Here in good old Florida there really is no real winter. In fact winter is when we have the best weather of the year. People often think of Florida as having wonderful weather all year. But in the heat of summer I have to resist the urge to strip down naked, lay down in the lounge chair, turn the flan on high and drink pink lemonade all day. Today was the first day I felt this way since last September. It's about 94 degrees today but the heat index says it feels like 98 degrees and it does! Anyone who has been to Florida knows that it is not just the heat but the humidity. It's so sticky that as soon as I leave for work I wonder why I even showered. I feel like I need another shower almost immediately. This definitely discourages exercise. I have been wondering if I should possibly take up swimming again as one form of exercise so I could actually look forward to it. Membership to the country club pool is a bit pricey though. I took water aerobics last year during the summer and loved it. My mom paid for the classes as my birthday gift. I may look into that again. I am also thinking about getting up earlier so maybe I can beat the heat before the sun comes up. I'll have to let you know how it works out. Now if I can just kick this craving for nice cool refreshing ice cream every night the summer may go by with out a hitch.

3 comments:

  1. "But in the heat of summer I have to resist the urge to strip down naked, lay down in the lounge chair, turn the flan on high and drink pink lemonade all day. "

    As if this were a bad thing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, don't I know it! I had to be outside yesterday morning for work and I thought I was going to lose it. Sweating. Buckets. Summer in SoFla is here.

    Is joining a gym an option? That way you can get your exercise indoors--in the AC!

    I know treadmills, ellipticals and stairmasters aren't always interesting, but a good book or magazine usually makes my time on them pass (a little) faster...

    Hang in there!!! (As for the ice cream craving...hello, SKINNY COWS! They're not bad at all diet wise!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really good thing if you've got an ice-cream craving: freeze a banana. Sounds weird but it has almost exactly the same consistancy as ice-cream (maybe a little harder), tastes really good, is cold and good for you. Perfect for those hot, muggy florida afternoons. I used to do a batch at the beginning of the week when I was working in Florida.

    ReplyDelete