3/18/10

Steps

Besides leaving for the day, there used to be two times a day I left my desk at work. I got up once to get my lunch and once to go to the bathroom. That is it. I counted the steps to the bathroom (40) and the steps to the lunchroom/kitchen (60). That means during my work day I only took about 100 steps. It was shocking to see how sedentary I truly was. Whenever I try to live healthier I end up drinking more water, which means more bathroom breaks and having to make frequent trips to the kitchen since I am eating a few times a day and am always refilling my water bottle. This week I have kept track of how often I get up. I am going to the bathroom every hour and to the kitchen every couple hours. Without even thinking about it I increased my daily office steps to between 600 and 800 steps! I know that is still not a lot. We are supposed to be getting around 10,000 steps a day. I do not have a pedometer but I am certain I do not come near that amount. That is why exercise is so important to me; I barely get any while working. However small, an increase in movement is great and it made me smile.

An unexpected side benefit is I am getting to know my co-workers better and some of them are pretty awesome. People used to say I stayed in my cave (office) and was rarely seen. (It was a running joke.) Now I am coming in contact with all sorts of people as I run around the office. I have been with my company 7 years yet some people didn’t even know I existed because I was not social at all. (I am a very social person but at work I totally had tunnel vision.) I am not only getting healthy but making new office friends too. Nice!

3 comments:

  1. they call my office my cave, too, but it's because i get a ton of natural light so i skip the fluorescents and they think it's weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about walking around the office (in my case library) as exercise but it probably is. It's a great way to work it in, socialize with your co-workers and get a change of venue at the same time. Exercise is not just at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that you are getting out and meeting your coworkers! You should organize a little lunch walk with them.

    Hope the pumpkin oats turn out okay for you!

    ReplyDelete