3/29/07

The cost of being fat.


Being fat is expensive. I had buy a new dress for the bridal shower I am throwing next weekend. It always upsets me how expensive plus size clothes are and what a limited selection we have. If I have to pay almost double the price can you give me a little more variety. My favorite place to shop is Macy's Plus size department because they have a lot of the same things that they have in the regular women's department only bigger, but the prices are not good. However because I only shop the sales I always get a good deal. The problem is when you need something right away you have to pay full price to find anything good and in season. I looked at Macy's and there was nothing good on sale or not. I was feelings a bit panicky...most of current dresses are too dressy for the occasion, I wanted to wear a spring-ish casual dress. We don't have a Lane Bryant anywhere near my house and I hate trucking all the way out there. So, I decided to try another store I had heard about called Avenue. Some of the clothes were good and some very matronly and heinous. I think most people could get staples there like jeans, shirts, bras, ect but I wouldn't create a wardrobe from that store. All of there dress were 59-89 dollars. This is not want I wanted to spend for my casual dress, but I bought one anyway. It's blue and it fit me well. This got me thinking about how many other things I pay more for because I am fat. If I wasn't covered by group health insurance I would have huge individual premiums because of my weight. Whenever I travel on an airplane I now feel the need to buy two tickets instead of one because I want to be sure I fit in the seat and do not creep into anyone else's space. Think about all the money I have spent on extra calories at the grocery store I didn't need. I have spent countless dollars on different diets and weight loss products. I have bought exercise gear and machine's I barely touched. Some reports have even shown that fat people make less money than their slimmer counter parts. Did I get hired at a smaller starting pay because of my weight? I may be cheating myself out of thousand's of dollars per year by keeping my fluffy exterior. For the health benefits of losing weight, it will also pad your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment